Sunday, March 14, 2010

Start the seeds!





All the good dirt we brought over from the landfill is spread over this humongous garden space. The dark rich earth over the sandy silt will support my vegetable garden perfectly! Adding cotton seed meal and organic plant food regularly through out the growing season will make everything I plant very happy!

Broccoli and Okinawan spinach and an incredible patch of onions made it through the weeks and weeks of frigid temperatures that we endured there in central Florida this year. I am in shock and wonder of it!

I have an amazing array of seeds and a few seedlings! Let's get to work!

Jon disagrees with me about how to identify all the plants that are going into our garden. I have made a chart that shows what areas hold which seeds and seedlings. He wants sticks and labels for every row. I agreed to allow him to do this for his "part" of the garden. We'll see how long this lasts.

I separated the sticks and glass shards and other unusables away from the beautiful soil. I mixed in the cotton seed meal and organic plant food. WOW it was fun to poke the seeds into the little compartments! Look how many! Lettuce, tomatoes, kale, collards, purple sage. I am so excited!

I am ready to feel the warm sun! The big sunny days this weekend did not disappoint. As I planted the seeds, I could taste the summer squash. I smelled basil as I laid those tiny seeds into the chocolate colored earth. The beans will be up first! How sweet and crunchy they will taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment